Portable Generator Safety | VideoSarahbeth Ackerman | 11/1/2012
"We are coming in the heating season..we`re starting to turn out furnaces on here in North Dakota, this is the time of year we are at risk," said Fire Chief C.J Craven.
Generator exhaust contains carbon monoxide and Craven says it is crucial to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home whether or not you choose to use portable heating equipment. This detector will be able to warn you if there are problems with your heating equipment.
"Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless- you can`t see or smell it, you need a detector. Most of the time, what you smell is products of combustion," says Craven.
While keeping up with routine maintenance is important for your detector, the key component is the placement of the generator.
"You never want to have your generator inside the home because it`s gonna fill up with carbon monoxide and smoke and it could be a really bad deal so you want to have it outside your house as far away from your house as permittable for noise," said Karl Vigstol, Assit. Manager at Acme Tools.
"We do have quite a few cases of carbon monoxide in the city every year," said Craven.
While every winter the fire department receives on average to 30 to 50 calls due to carbon monoxide. So maybe then we can reduce the number of reported cases.